Run Wild Missoula (The Tail of a Half Marathon FOX)

Let me just start by saying that when I was in the 6th grade I was the exact same height (5′ 6.5″) that I am today. I was called the Holly Green Giant by my classmates (a name I still despise to this day) and teased quite a bit about being head and shoulders taller than the rest of my classmates. The saving grace of my height at the age of 12 was that I was quickly recruited onto a traveling basketball team (despite my initial hatred of sports at an early age) to play year round for the next 7 years. While my peers began to grow like weeds around me, so did my love of the sport. But after 7 years of year eating, sleeping, and breathing basketball it was time to move on to other sports. I’ve mixed hands w/ several in the past few years. However, the one sport that has stuck w/ me is the one used as punishment in all other sports. Running.

Back in March I blogged a post asking for some guidance. I was feeling restless about life and needed something to focus my unused energy on. Not long after, during one of my late night runs w/ Bosco, I was overcome w/ an emotion to become a member of Team FOX and run my half marathon to raise awareness for Parkinson’s. As soon I was home, I sat w/ my computer in my kitchen and applied to become a member of Team FOX. That very night I also submitted my registration for the Missoula 1/2 Marathon. I was committed.

Having never raised a dime for a non-profit organization, I set my goals at a reasonable amount, $250. However, with the help of Donor Anonymous, I not only reach my initial goal, I shattered it in only 1 week of fund raising. Two more times I raised my goal, first to $500, then again to $1,000. With only 48 hours left before starting time, my final goal was reached. Thanks to the Brin-Wojcicki Challenge, the $1,037 I raised will be matched dollar for dollar.

I was up at 4am on race day to chow down on a Snickers bar and a bottle of Pepto. I needed enough time for my stomach to settle before my 6am start time. I was downtown to meet the bus around 5am, then off to the starting line. I did some stretches, dropped my bag at the appropriate drop zone, then settled in to people watch. There was an MC in tights wearing his underwear superhero style (outside his tights) that entertained before the cannon and firework start. I was making good time (for me) and pacing an 11 minute mile at the half way point. Around mile marker 7 an old knee injury started acting up. By mile 10, my left knee was useless. I was pushing myself to walk/run every other block for another mile, before I was completely unable to use it. I walked the last 3 miles and finished at a 3:04:11 time. (don’t worry Momma, my appointment for the Orthopedic specialist is on the 30th)

Despite the fact that we live on opposite ends of the country I was able to talk to my dad as I crossed the finish line of the Missoula 1/2 Marathon. I kept a blue tooth headset around my neck as I ran the race. I had planned on using it to listen to music along my course, like I had relied on on so many runs before, but there was so much going on along the entire course that I never needed any sort of a mental boost from music. Who’s ready to help me find my next adventure?

You can still donate towards my Team FOX fundraising efforts till the end of 2012! Because I am a new member this year, all funds I raise through the end of the year will be doubled. Visit: MY TEAM FOX PAGE to donate today!

One thought on “Run Wild Missoula (The Tail of a Half Marathon FOX)

Leave a Reply